Historic Preservation

Ladyslipper Building, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: 1229 Harmon Place, LLC

1221-1229 Harmon Place is located in the Harmon Place Historic District in downtown Minneapolis. It is one of several buildings in the district related to the automobile sales industry in the area from the 1920s through the 1950s. Original 1915 construction drawings refer to it as "Store Building for Hattie L. Knoblauch." Carved, limestone medallions at the storefront corners have a ladyslipper and the letter "K" intertwined, probably a reference to the original owner.

During restoration, new window and storefront framing and glazing were installed. The new window and storefront styles, sizes, mullion patterns and casing were developed from original construction drawings and archive photos of the building. New entry doors were placed in the original entry locations and recessed as recommended in the district guidelines. The deteriorated stone base was repaired and new stone added to complete the recessed entry areas. A custom wood panel door was installed at the 13th Street garage opening. The interior was renovated for office and retail use.


Pacific Flats, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: Pacific Flats LLC

The Pacific Block was a neglected landmark building on a busy intersection of the Warehouse District. Originally the owner purchased the building to circumvent another possible adult entertainment use in the area. When the unexpected extent of brick deterioration and lack of sound interior structural elements drove up the total project costs, the owner continued with the project and protected the building from possible demolition. The owner and architect worked with the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Department to assure that the construction was completed in a historically appropriate manner.

The exterior work is now complete and in compliance with the Warehouse Historic District Design Guidelines. The graceful arched window openings, refurbished wood cornices, cast iron columns and weathered brick provide a glimpse of another era of commercial development in Minneapolis.


Abbott Apartments, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: Gateway Commons, LLC

The former Abbott Hospital is located in the Stevens Square neighborhood of Minneapolis. The building was constructed in five phases between 1910 and 1957, with each phase representing different architectural styles ranging from Renaissance Revival to Mid Century Modern. The adaptive re-use of a hospital complex into market-rate rental apartments includes 123 dwelling units, a fitness room, a community meeting room and a billiards room. Rehabilitation of the existing buildings includes the addition of a new two level, below grade parking structure and an entry vestibule. The project received tax credits with the National Park Service and the state of Minnesota.


Lowry Morrison Block, Minneapolis, Minnesota  |  View Gallery »

Client: Private

The Lowry Morrison Block was a speculative real estate investment by two prominent early citizens, Thomas Lowry and Clinton Morrison. Constructed in 1879, the building is one of the oldest contributing structures in the district. The Commercial Italianate building design has a corbeled brick parapet, arch top windows and large ground level storefront windows. The tax credit rehabilitation work includes masonry repair, replacement and repair of windows, replacement of storefront, elevator and interior stair construction and mechanical and electrical systems replacement.


Eugene Carpenter House, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: Private

The Carpenter House is located on the edge of downtown Minneapolis.  The owner is restoring the house and grounds for mixed use as a bed and breakfast, salon, and rental apartments.  On the National Historic Register since 1977; all the renovation work, including the porch restoration, complied with state and city historic guidelines. See this Finance and Commerce article on this project


Thompson Flats, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: LL LLC

The Thompson Hotel was constructed in 1900. There is office and retail space on the first floor with apartments located on floors 2 and 3.  A historic renovation that will receive both federal and state tax credits will be complete in 2017.


Bradshaw Building, Minneapolis, MN  |  View Gallery »

Client: Pixel Farm

The Bradshaw building is a historically significant building constructed in 1925 originally used for millinery manufacturing.  The design work completed by Adsit Architecture and Planning focused on renovating the windows, exterior signage, brickwork and interior shell.  The alterations were necessary due to age and water damage to the building.  Several additional windows and a fire escape extension were added.  The historic look and feel of the building were maintained through careful material choices and detailing. The project received historic tax credits from both the National Park Service and the state of Minnesota